Welcome to Ōtautahi Christchurch
Prepare for new architecture and immense street art, cocktail bars and bustling restaurants, laneways and green public spaces. Get up the Port Hills for outdoor adventures, from downhill biking to ziplines. Hit the coast for surfing, kayaking and beach vibes.
Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand and the seat of the Canterbury Region. The Christchurch urban area lies on the South Island's east coast, just north of Banks Peninsula.
Christchurch has a temperate oceanic climate with a mild summer and cool winter.
Awesome attractions in Christchurch
From the Isaac Theatre Royal to EntX, Alice Cinema and the Christchurch Arts Festival, this city is ready to wow and entertain you. It’s time to come back, get into it, and enjoy!
There are so many ways to travel around Christchurch and the heart of the South Island - from hiring a vehicle to journeying by tram, bike, ferry or on foot. Whatever your preference, search here to find the quickest, best value or simply the most interesting way to get around.
A number of tertiary education institutions have campuses in Christchurch, or in the surrounding areas.
• Ara Institute of Canterbury
• Lincoln University
• University of Canterbury
• University of Otago, Christchurch
Sports And Music Event Venues
• Crusaders, formerly the 'Canterbury Crusaders', are a rugby union team based in Christchurch that compete in the Super Rugby competition.
• The Canterbury Rugby Football Union, which governs rugby union in Christchurch and the surrounding region, fields a team that represents the city in the ITM Cup.
• Canterbury Kings are Christchurch's men's cricket team in New Zealand's State Championship while the Canterbury Magicians play in the counterpart women's tournament
• Canterbury Cavaliers and Cats play in the National Hockey League (NHL)